Swamp

Swamp
Atchafalaya Swamp

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lives In The Balance: Party Time!

In my previous post, Pak Aa Gym's story took place the day after. This is about what transpired the night before. In my book it's called redemption, to find a balance between light and dark, the bad and the good.

Saturday night was spent at a very happening Jakarta nightspot called SHY Rooftop on Jl. Kemang Raya. Kemang is a bit like Bangsar at night; where the city's young and beautiful upper-class crowd get to look and be looked at.

Housed on the fifth floor of a very futuristic glass building, SHY has an open area balcony where one can gaze at Jakarta's sprawling skyline while nursing a none-shariah-compliant concoction.


I went there with a friend (whose sex I shall not divulge for fear of repercussions and incrimination) who insisted, "Bang, this is where the artistes bareng (hang out)". And I was not disappointed...

The ambiance was first class, the decor smart and cozy. In Malaysia it would be the size of an average pub housed in a shop lot. There were perhaps thirty to fifty patrons in all, coming and going.

The music? M
ostly acoustic guitars with only the bass being amplified, no drums, just bongos and tambourines to the accompaniment of vocals so sweet it will bring tears to your eyes.

SHY being a musician
's joint, the band played everything from Jason Mraz to Sting to Bob Marley. Aaah...

The crowd? If I told you I got to dance with Maia would you believe me? I'll let the pictures tell the story.

I even get to jam my Canon Ixus 850iS right in her face.


Ah, drool over, because everything is about balance, right?







Roy Marten's son, Gading, inadvertently shared a table with me. Apparently he's following in his Dad's footsteps, making a name as actor. I couldn't tell him from Adam until my friend whispered in my ear who that guy across the table was.

Maia Estianty? Everyone knows Maia,the hottest woman in showbiz. She's currently undergoing a very public divorce with mogul Ahmad Dhani, fighting a bitter battle over their three children Al, El and Dul. The kids are also musicians in a band called Lucky Laki, managed by the male parent, who at present has custody. Not a day goes by here in Indonesia where one isn't bombarded by news of Maia and Ahmad Dhani's woes spelt out in gritty detail... I really wanted to ask her how she handled the pressure of it all, but it wasn't a good time. I felt that she wanted to be left alone and I could respect that. Hey, being the subject of gossip and slander by tens of millions, day in day out, must be terrible. Ever since that Ahmad Dhani took up with Mulan, Maia's duet partner in Ratu...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah while you are there having fun all they could dish us here is a fucking collapse 1 year old stadium roof.

muteaudio said...

bro,
Agree with Chegu. Right now I'm singing 'Collapse,Collapse,Collapse' to the tune of 'Perhaps,Perhaps,Perhaps'.

"none-shariah-compliant concoction" Errmm...a much subtle label for 'air kelapa'.

mamadou said...

Mat Salo

Waduh lagi bareng ama artis ya. Asyik Pak.

Udah lama nggak ke Kemang, gimana ya situasi di sana?

Moga Pak bisa teruuuus bareng. Buset Pak

Mat Salo said...

Chegu... Ma'af late reply. Like you, lagi libur cuti sekolah. Hope you're not too depressed about that stadium roof. Ha ha.

Me having fun? I try to, Sir. Sometimes too hard.

Mat Salo said...

Bro Mute... ayak nyok-slash-air nira tu non-syariah-compliant juga ke? Laa... 44 amal tak terima...

Mat Salo said...

Pak Mamadou,

Ga bisa bareng teruuuuss Pak. Takut juga ga sengaja ikut baring ama artis. Perantaraan "bareng" ama "baring" itu amat tipis sekali. Udah laa dosa ku banyak ya ampun...

Kalau bisa ga mau jua dugem (dunia gemerlapan), udah lah. Ada cewe bilang, 'Mas, kubur udah memanggil'. Ngeri Pak.

Lagi libur ama famili, Pak. Selesai cuti sekolah baru saya pulang. Mudah mudhan Pak Mamadou masih bareng di Kota D ya Pak? Kita bisa ngeteh sambil ngobrol...

Kak Teh said...

Mat Salo, I heard from Pak Zawi that you are heading our way. Drop me a line in my blog and we will meet up.

Apa Kau Nak said...

Wah. U can speak Indonesian. Nice. Veryyyyy nice. :)

Pak Zawi said...

Mat Salo,
Gue tunggu cerita Pak MS ke Eropah. Mana dia? Penantian itu satu penyiksaan. Tolong segerakan Pak.

Daphne Ling said...

Hello from waay over here,

I don't know who these Maia or Ahmad are but poor kids. It's sas enough the kids are caught in between the bitter divorce, but in the public eye?

Irony huh, this marriage this sometimes? The very person you wanted to spend the rest of your life with once, is the one person you now can't stand and want to get as far away from as possible. Very sad...

Sarah said...

Nice post, and really informative blog about Malaysia !

My name is Alexandra and I'm managing a meta-blog about travel and activities in South East Asia: http://www.weekend.com.sg/

I read some of your articles carefully and your content can be really useful for my readers who wants to discover the real life in Malaysia (and Malaysia in particular) !
In consequence, I decided to select your blog !

I would like to know if you would be interested to appear on my web portal? It will increase your visibility on internet, increase your visits, and provide good information for my users.
Send me an email at greenty.com@gmail.com and I will try to answer within 24h.

Good job again !

Alexandra